2020-07-07

Authors I’ve Read the Most Books By

This is a Top Ten Tuesday blog post topic suggested by That Artsy Reader Girl.

*
I'm struggling to remember what I read as a child and teenager. I know I read 50+ Hardy Boy mysteries, probably in the revised Grosset & Dunlap versions. They are all authored by Franklin W. Dixon, but that is a pseudonym, with often times different writers doing the story, the manuscript, the editing, and later revision. So they don't count. Then there was a teenage phase when I read all the Asimov I could find at the local libraries. I don't remember specifics, so they don't count either.

I'll skip ahead where my memory is fresher,

  1. Hesse. I read a lot of (English translations of) Herman Hesse's novels and short stories. I think I read all his novels and many half his short stories.
  2. I read a lot of John Mortimer's Rumpole mysteries, perhaps all of them. If I counted correctly, there are 17 novels, the last one published over 15 years ago.
  3. Hemmingway. I read all of Ernest Hemmingway's novels and perhaps most of his short stories.
  4. Chekov/Chekhov. I've read a lot of Anton Chekov's short stories and a few of his plays. They were collected in books, so I guess that fits under to topic of today's post. I think he wrote only one novel (The Shooting Party ). In an earlier series of blog posts (see this summary of them) I collected (English translations of) titles and plots as best I could.
  5. Lee Child (Jim Grant). I've finished about half of the Jack Reacher novels by Jim Grant writing under the pseudonym Lee Child. I'll keep going, and read short stories as well.
  6. Wodehouse/ By far, I've read the most books written by P. G, Wodehouse. I have not read all his novels nor all his short stories (or plays) but I've read enough to know he's topped the list. I might have read 50 of his novels and short story collections. Like Lee Child, it's a continuing process.

That's it. A short list.

No comments: