2022-10-10

Favorite rom coms

I'm not an expert on this genre, but I've watched my share of them and here are my favorite rom coms, in no particular order.
  • Perhaps my favorite movie of all time: His Girl Friday. This is in the public domain and can be found in several places, including youtube. I've raved about it lots of times on this blog, for example, here.
  • Almost any Preston Sturges movie (where he's the writer/director). I'm going to put one of the most obscure ones, The Sin of Harold Diddlebock. I think it's in the public domain (in the US) because of some copyright law error, so might be available free on youtube. See also this review for more details on which this is such a wonderful movie.
  • Not because it's super-romantic, but because it's such a great movie: Groundhog Day!
  • Among several possible Billy Wilder movies, I'll pick two: Sabrina (co-written by Ernest Lehman, who's appeared elsewhere on this blog, for example here) and The Apartment
  • IMHO, this is a no-brainer: The Big Sick. So funny, so very touching. Reminds me of the touching bromance Funny People.
  • Hitchcock did only one movie that is purely rom com (Mr and Mrs Smith, 1941), but the thriller masterpiece North by Northwest has enough rom com elements, that I'm including it on this list.
If you haven't seen these, check them out!

No comments: